?

Log in

Baglen pi i tianta a ba ba lond

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> Haruspex Publishing
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Tuesday, January 6th, 2009
11:44 pm - The Credit Crunch - of 33 AD !!!
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Just proving that things are the same throughout history -

"Meanwhile a powerful host of accusers fell with sudden fury on the
class which systematically increased its wealth by usury in defiance
of a law passed by Caesar the Dictator defining the terms of lending
money and of holding estates in Italy, a law long obsolete because
the public good is sacrificed to private interest. The curse of usury
was indeed of old standing in Rome and a most frequent cause of sedition
and discord, and it was therefore repressed even in the early days
of a less corrupt morality. First, the Twelve Tables prohibited any
one from exacting more than 10 per cent., when, previously, the rate
had depended on the caprice of the wealthy. Subsequently, by a bill
brought in by the tribunes, interest was reduced to half that amount,
and finally compound interest was wholly forbidden. A check too was
put by several enactments of the people on evasions which, though
continually put down, still, through strange artifices, reappeared.
On this occasion, however, Gracchus, the praetor, to whose jurisdiction
the inquiry had fallen, felt himself compelled by the number of persons
endangered to refer the matter to the Senate. In their dismay the
senators, not one of whom was free from similar guilt, threw themselves
on the emperor's indulgence. He yielded, and a year and six months
were granted, within which every one was to settle his private accounts
conformably to the requirements of the law.

Hence followed a scarcity of money, a great shock being given to all
credit, the current coin too, in consequence of the conviction of
so many persons and the sale of their property, being locked up in
the imperial treasury or the public exchequer. To meet this, the Senate
had directed that every creditor should have two-thirds his capital
secured on estates in Italy. Creditors however were suing for payment
in full, and it was not respectable for persons when sued to break
faith. So, at first, there were clamorous meetings and importunate
entreaties; then noisy applications to the praetor's court. And the
very device intended as a remedy, the sale and purchase of estates,
proved the contrary, as the usurers had hoarded up all their money
for buying land. The facilities for selling were followed by a fall
of prices, and the deeper a man was in debt, the more reluctantly
did he part with his property, and many were utterly ruined. The destruction
of private wealth precipitated the fall of rank and reputation, till
at last the emperor interposed his aid by distributing throughout
the banks a hundred million sesterces, and allowing freedom to borrow
without interest for three years, provided the borrower gave security
to the State in land to double the amount. Credit was thus restored,
and gradually private lenders were found. The purchase too of estates
was not carried out according to the letter of the Senate's decree,
rigour at the outset, as usual with such matters, becoming negligence
in the end."
(Tacitus, "Annals", Book VI)

Notice anything familiar?

Love is the law, love under will.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Saturday, September 20th, 2008
10:56 pm - M.A.N.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


"What is man, that thou art mindful of him? ... For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour." - Psalm 8, v. 4-5


"Man is the measure of all things." - Protagoras


M - Mem, the Amniotic Waters. Morning.

A - Aleph, the Babe in the Egg. Parzifal. Noon.

N - Nun, Death and Generation. The consuming and creating Fire. Evening.

The answer to the riddle of the SPhINX, whose powers Man must acquire to express his true nature.

(Note, Man contains the three active elements. Nun takes the place of Shin in representing Fire, thus indicating the nature of that Fire).

"There is no god but man." - Aleister Crowley, Liber Oz


"Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength" - Psalm 8, v. 2



The above is rather dashed off, I would recommend as further reading "Little Essays Toward Truth", particularly the first and last chapters ("Man" and "Truth") for a better idea of what I am driving at. I could continue with talking about the G in the center of the masonic blazing star and other such esoterica, but I'll leave it there in the sort of half cryptic mess it is currently - it is more indication rather than argument.

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: geeky

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, August 31st, 2008
11:21 pm - Freedom, Will and Freewill
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.



"So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will." - Liber AL vel Legis, I, 42


I have recently been reading various writings, posted on line, regarding Thelemic concepts of Will and Freedom, and have to comment that their authors seem to be - in my opinion - rather confused about the place of these ideas in Thelema. Most of these writers seem to believe that because Thelema promotes human Freedom and is based upon the concept of Will it thus supports an idea of Freewill. To put it mildly, this is not automatically the case.

There are three issues here -

a) The promulgation of human Freedom - On a political level Thelema must be committed to this. We have no way of determining the Will of a given individual, as such maximal individual freedom is a necessary corollary to the injunction "Do what thou Wilt". In an environment of maximal freedom individuals are best able to discover their Wills.

b) The nature of Will - Will is a function of the inertia of the universe. An individual's Will is something that they discover. At the start of their involvement with Thelema they are a conflicted mess of impulses, as they progress in the Work they eliminate the minor impulses leaving only the single major impulse - the Will. This is additionally strengthened by the energy freed up by the elimination of the other impulses. Thus, the Will of a given individual is precisely determined by that individual's position and personal history (in Eastern terms, their Karma). Nothing else can be that person's Will.

c) Freewill - This is an ill defined philosophical concept having little to do with either Freedom or Will. An individual with a developed Will has no "Freewill" in the normal sense. Rather they have a single focused purpose which they cannot reject even if (by some bizarre stray thought) they want to. The undeveloped individual has a much smaller Will and is prey to their other impulses, but this is not freewill - which impulse triumphs and determines their actions is simply a function of the random factors in their environment. They have no more Freewill than a ball on a bagatelle table.

As can be seen from the above, Thelema espouses the discovery and development of the Will and promotes human Freedom as the best condition in which to conduct this process. Freewill has no part in this programme (even if anyone can say what this bunkum notion means).

Love is the law, love under will.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Sunday, July 13th, 2008
4:12 am - A Lively Evening
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Have been playing with Google's new virtual world lively - as such I most graciously invite any of you to visit me at the newly opened "Temple of Babalon" :-)

LJ won't let me embed an image, so go here to visit. (You'll need to download the lively browser plug-in).

The only thing at the moment is that, while you can create rooms, you have to use the objects Google provide to furnish them. Also there is a 512k limit on background music uploads. But, unlike other virtual worlds, it is FREE.

I probably won't be in the room when you visit - so please post any comments etc. here.

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: cheerful

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, June 4th, 2008
5:53 pm - High Magic
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


"These three mysteries are none other than what Piccatrix says in his book that is called the Key of Wisdom, namely the conjunction of a body with a body, the conjunction of a soul with a body, or the conjunction of a soul with a soul.
The conjunction of a body with a body is the conjunction of the heavenly flesh, namely the quintessence, with the body of a virginal and purified earth: the result is the philosophers' stone, and this is the natural magic about which the alchemists speak.
The conjunction of a spirit with a body is the conjunction and attraction of the spirits of the planets into appropriate corporeal images, from which result marvels in nature; and this is the celestial magic in which Zoroaster excelled, and which was also taught by Thebith [Thabit ibn Qurra], Cembes, Ptolemy, and several others.
The conjunction of a spirit with a spirit is the conjunction and harmony of the Spirit of God with the spirit of man, and this is the sacerdotal and divine magic of which all Sacred Scripture speaks in parables."
[Ludovico Lazzarelli, "Tractatus de Alchimia", in Hanegraaff et al. "Lodovico Lazzarelli (1447-1500): the Hermetic Writings and Related Documents"]

Here then Lazzarelli sets out the three principal concerns and practices of the whole Western Magical Tradition.

  • "The conjunction of a body with a body"; the conjunction of the heavenly flesh, the philosophers' stone. Chapter XX of Crowley's Book 4, Part III, discusses this.

  • "The conjunction of a spirit with a body"; the magical animation of statues. This is the practice derived from the Egyptian ritual of "The Opening of the Mouth and Eyes". See Issue 3 of "the love of me..." for a full discussion of the theory. The practice is discussed in various writers, for an intimation of my own practice see "Servitor Construction: A Personal Approach".

  • "The conjunction of a spirit with a spirit"; systasis - personal bonding with a deity - or in its highest aspect, the "Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel". The first is widely described in the Greek Magical Papyri (see for example, the "Invocation of Typhon-Set" printed in Issue 2 of "Because"). The practice of the second can be reviewed in "The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage" and in Crowley's "Liber VIII".
These three bonds, or vincula, then resume within their scope all of what is called "High Magic". And in a peculiar way, these three are one.

In the words of Giordano Bruno:
"Vincvlvm Vincvlorvm Amor Est"


Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: Other

(comment on this)

Thursday, May 22nd, 2008
5:51 pm - More on Book 4, Part 2
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Crowley, in chapter VIII "The Sword" of "Book 4, Part 2" writes, "There is no emotion which does not leave a mark on the mind, and all marks are bad marks. Hope and fear are only opposite phases of a single emotion; both are incompatible with the purity of the soul. With the passions of man the case is somewhat different, as they are functions of his own Will. They need to be disciplined, not to be suppressed. But emotion is impressed from without. It is an invasion of the Circle."

Now this distinction between the "passions" and the "emotions" is something that requires deep thought. In particular Crowley's statement that "emotion is impressed from without" raises questions. For in a peculiar sense the individual Will is also "impressed from without". For the Will is, in a sense, a function of the inertia of the Universe (my previous entry expands on this somewhat). So it becomes necessary to make precise the distinction between the "passions" and the "emotions".

The answer to this distinction emerges in Crowley's earlier discussion of the Cup in chapter VII where he says, "Either a fact fits in or it does not; if it does not, harmony is broken; and a the Universal harmony cannot be broken, the discord must be in the mind of the student, thus showing he is not in tune with that Universal choir."

Thus, emotions are distorted perceptions that appear mirrored in the waters of the Cup, while passions are true clear reflections. How then do we distinguish the two? Emotions derive from imperfections in the function of either the reason or the automatic conciousness (habits, conditioning, etc.) while passions emerge from the physiological and psychological instincts. Emotions are, as it were, darkenings of the mirror of understanding - to quote St Paul, "For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face" I Corinthians 13:12

We can now posit a full explanation of the elements, in the order of the Tetragrammaton. The function of the Will is to Become; it is the expression of the inertia of the Universe at a given point.

The function of the Understanding is to perfectly reflect the impulses of the Will and the perceptions of phenomena (which it will be seen are identical).

The function of the Reason is to enable the impulses of the Will (as reflected in the Understanding) - the fastest way to the bottom of a cliff may be by jumping, but in fulfilling one passion you balk all others - and to assist in cleansing the Understanding. Reason goes wrong when it clutters the Understanding with false perceptions.

The function of the Animal Self, and the Universe in general, is to be a flexible recipient of the Will (of which in a sense it is also the origin), not to interfere with the processes of the Reason or Understanding.

We now see the Kabalistic goal of "setting the Daughter upon the Throne of the Mother." This is the dissolution of the false conception that the Animal Self, Reason, and Understanding are personal. They are not parts of the Ego; in fact the Ego is merely a distortion that appears in the Understanding. All that exists is the Universe.

Thus, the Universe becomes the sphere of Understanding. All the functions are perfectly responsive, the distortions removed. Hence Paul's comment "but then face to face".

Again we have the Oath of the Master of the Temple. As Crowley writes, "What can be more selfish than this interpretation of everything as the dealing of God with the soul? But it is God who is all and not any part; and every 'dealing' must thus be an expansion of the soul, a destruction of its seperateness. Every ray of the sun expands the flower." This is the setting of the Daughter upon the Throne of the Mother. The Universe, including the "perceptions" that arise - they being also parts of the Universe and not the property of the Ego - becomes the Understanding.

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: busy

(comment on this)

2:03 am - Meditations on Book 4, part 2
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


I feel Book 4, part 2, "Magick" is often unfairly neglected, perhaps because - as Crowley says in "Magick without Tears" - "But when I had finished Part II, I discovered that not only was the book an exceptionally recondite treatise on obscure technical points, but was not even an exposition of Magick at all!" "Magick without Tears", Letter 50. I have been thinking about some parts of it and decided to post my own thoughts on the subject.

First, an apparent digression.

Linea Viridis Gyrat Vniversa


This phrase is first recorded in the Kabalistic Conclusions of Giovanni Pico della Mirandola and is, to say the least, a puzzling conclusion. The relevant material is as follows:

Waite translates Pico's conclusion as "That which is said by the Kabalist, namely, that the green line encircles the universe, may be said also appropriately at the final conclusion which we draw from Porphyry." "The Doctrine and Literature of the Kabbalah", pg 343.

Pico's final conclusion that he draws from Porphyry is "Deus ubique est, quia nullibi est, intellectus ubique est, quia nullibi est, anima ubique est, que post ispum. Sed Deus ubique et nullibi respectu omnium, que post ipsum. Intellectus autem in Deo quidem est, ubique autem et nullibi respectu eorum, que post ipsum. Anima in intellectu et Deo, ubique autem et nullibi respectu corpons." Conclusiones sive Theses DCCCC.

This I roughly translate as, "God is everywhere, because he is nowhere, Mind is everywhere, because it is nowhere, Soul is everywhere, and after itself. But God is everywhere and nowhere with respect to all, and after himself. Mind however is certainly within God, everywhere however and nowhere with respect to them, and after itself. Soul is within Mind and God, everywhere however and nowhere with respect to the body."

So far, so profound (and fairly incomprehensible). To clear our confusion let us examine this matter as Kabalists.

Firstly, we note that the "line" is Green, the colour of Venus symbol of love - and it encircles or binds the Universe. Thus "Love is the law."

Next, Linea viridis gyrat vniversa looks very like a notariqon whose root would be LVGV. This is interesting, LVGV = 30+6+3+6 = 45 = ADM; Adam, Man. Thus, Man encompasses the Universe.

Thus, this aphorism is a restatement of Protagoras' statement "Man is the measure of all things".

This is a theme taken up by Crowley (you see, now we get to the point) in Chapter 2 of "Book 4, Part 2", where he writes, "It will follow then that, in spite of the apparent freedom of the Magician to do anything he likes, he is really determined absolutely; for as the Altar must have a base proportionate to its height, and as that height must be convenient for the Magician, the size of the whole [circle] will depend upon his own stature."

We can see that this is so. That Man, by the nature and quality of his perceptions, determines the measure of his own Universe. Similarly, that that measure is determined by his fundamental nature - there being no other measure he can adopt. He has no right but to do his Will.

And again Man is thus the Measure of all things, as Crowley again makes clear by his choice of Altar diagram.

The Macrocosm of Vitruvius


Here we see it, Man encompassing Heaven and Earth. As Crowley wrote in "Little Essays Toward Truth" - "YE ARE TRUTH" ("Little Essays Toward Truth", final chapter.) "Notes for an Astral Atlas", in the Appendix to "Book 4, Part 3" again also expands upon this topic, and I would recommend this as further reading to anyone interested.

I have more to write on "Book 4, Part 2", there are other sections that deserve a detailed note, but this simple entry has just taken me over 3 hours collating material! So I'll leave it for now and post again later.

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: tired

(3 comments | comment on this)

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008
9:04 pm - Rhymes
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


(Before reading the following post please refer to Book IV, Part II, An Interlude, first footnote)

Rhyme heard being recited by a small child today:

"It's raining, it's pouring,
The Old Man is snoring,
He went to bed, and bumped his head,
And couldn't get up in the morning."

The first line is obviously descriptive, but who is the Old Man of the second line and why is he snoring? It is the snoring that gives us the clue here, for surely this is the sound of Thunder. The Old Man then is one of the Thunder Gods, often depicted as an elder male figure - an Old Man. For example, IAO-pater the Thunder God of the Romans. Similarly Jehovah the Hebrew Thunder God of the Old Testament.

But then to which of these Thunder deities was the child addressing their prayer? The third line gives us the key to this. For only one of the Thunder Gods is renowned for a blow to his head - Thor, who has a flint stone wedged in his skull from his battle with Hrungner. The flint being the generator of sparks, the bolts of lightning that accompany Thunder.

Here then we have a survival, a prayer in the mouth of a child to propitiate the Thunder God - bidding him to remain in his bed and not to send his lightning bolts at us.

Goodnight children everywhere!

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: ditzy

(3 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, April 24th, 2008
11:05 am - Home
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Back in England - before I left Holland due to the peculiarities of time zones.

Love is the law, love under will.


current mood: busy

(comment on this)

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008
9:26 pm - Thunder: Perfect Mind
( You are about to view content that may only be appropriate for adults. )

current mood: tired

(1 comment | comment on this)

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008
7:11 pm - Work accomplished(?) in silence
( You are about to view content that may only be appropriate for adults. )

current mood: indescribable

(comment on this)

3:10 pm - IL L'EST, LE FUT, OU LE DOIT ETRE
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Well today was off to the Rijksmuseum. I have previously been to the van Gogh museum next door, but had skipped on the Rijksmuseum as any decent museum needs most of a day devoted to it. The principal thing I expected to see was Rembrant's "Nightwatch" - but other, even more astounding, beauties were on offer.

First off was a cup by the early 17th century silver smith Adam van Vianen in the auricular style. Unfortunately, I can't locate a photograph of the cup to show you (though there is another cup, made in commemoration of his brother, in the auricular style on the Rijksmuseum website), but the cup was beautiful. In the general form of a shell, with female figures. By some very subtle work van Vianen had conspired also to include the profile of a beautiful young girls face in the cup when it is viewed from a particular angle (I'm actually not sure if any art historian has noted this). The whole effect was that the drinker would be drinking from the shell of Venus - I love Renaissance (or in this case just post Renaissance) metaphor.

The second delight is better known - the statue of
"L'Amour Menacant" carved by Falconet for Madame de Pompadour. An endearingly malicious representation of the God, with his right finger pressed to his mouth while he plucks with his other hand an arrow from his quiver. The inscription on the base of this silent Eros - added by Madame Pompadour - reads "Qui que tu sois, voicy ton maitre. Il l'est, le fut, ou le doit etre." ("Who ever you are, this is your master. He is, was, or will be.")

To which I can only add that I go now to accomplish the work of generations of generations, which work is accomplished in silence. (Follow that set of references up and you'll understand why I liked the statue and what I think it imports - you may have to ask Kevin for references though. Try Liber 333, chapters 36 and 69.)

Love is the law, love under will.

(comment on this)

Monday, April 21st, 2008
6:15 pm - Amsterdam...
( You are about to view content that may only be appropriate for adults. )

current mood: glowing

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008
9:43 pm - The dangers of not paying attention
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


"the auto-erotic and homosexual techniques developed by Kellner and Reuss would have horrified the far more reserved Randolph, for whom sex was a sacrament between married couples, strictly guarded by ritual sanctity and moral injunctions" - Hugh B. Urban, "The Omnipotent Oom: Tantra and Its Impact on Modern Western Esotericism," Esoterica III(2001): 218-259

Apart from the fact that Reuss and Kellner didn't, as far as we know, develop homosexual techniques (Crowley did), Urban should also note the following:

"it don't follow that all who wear the Penis are in soul true males, or that a vagina is the sign of womanness; but he or she who has an emotional, loving, weeping, sympathetic, beautiful, soft, and tender side, has the sheness alluded to." - Pascal Beverly Randolph, "The Mysteries of Eulis", Appendix B in J.P.Deveney, "Pascal Beverly Randolph: A Nineteenth-Century Black American Spiritualist, Rosicrucian, and Sex Magician"

The above, written in a manuscript explicitly on sex magick, would seem to contradict Urban's view of Randolph. Certainly it is coy, but in the 1870's a subject such as homosexuality - which was a criminal offense - had to be handled in a coy manner.

I just thought it was worth noting that academics do too often do too little reading when they write on the esoteric - this often because the don't have a personal engagement with their subject matter.

Love is the law, love under will.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Monday, March 3rd, 2008
9:44 pm - People really should listen to me...
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


When I suggest commercial ideas.

(Ok, so most of you don't know what I'm gibbering about - but, hey nevermind.)

Love is the law, love under will.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Saturday, March 1st, 2008
12:56 am - It 'aint me honest...
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Although historically I have had a fair reputation for some quite stunning elemental magick, this time I promise it isn't me...

"Since last summer we've had to deal with floods, an earthquake and now gales. The only thing we haven't had is a heatwave." Humberside Fire Service spokesman Glenn Ramsden, here.

Love is the law, love under will.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008
6:09 pm - A light dawns...
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


Sat last night at the computer generally catching up on things (reading blogs, checking forums, etc.) - my chair jumps! Ho, hum, check outside, see if I can see anything the local kids have blown up. Nothing in sight. What makes a 3 foot thick concrete foundation lurch?

Just found out. An earthquake. I slept through the '84 one (being quite close to it in Runcorn at the time). Am glad to have been awake for this one. Looking out of the windows seems to have been a bit pointless though.

This one was in the Midlands, I can think of a few other places I'd like to send one - any ideas if we can bribe the cthonian Gods?

Love is the law, love under will.


[Edited for factual error caused by rushing my google search for the BBC link, 21:19 hrs.]

(2 comments | comment on this)

Sunday, January 27th, 2008
8:44 pm - A nasty case of Troglodytes...
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


That is what the Thelemic community seems to be suffering from at present.

I don't particularly want to offend anyone, but I suspect it is likely that I will. Most recently in the ongoing catalogue of Trogloditic activity is the events surrounding the locking of a post on the LaShTaL forum here.

I don't blame the list owner for closing the thread, it isn't a requirement for him to host any particular discussion. My problem is with the people of whom he says "Several members appear to be genuinely distressed by some of the posts - to the extent of threatening to report the site to the UK agency responsible for the enforcement of animal welfare legislation." I can only consider this disingenuous in the extreme by the individuals involved. Discussion in the thread implied that the photograph and events discussed by one member took place outside of the UK. As such it would be outside the jurisdiction of such agencies. The only reason I personally can read into the actions of these individuals is to supress discussion.

This does a disservice to those on all sides of the argument and is contrary to the principles of the Book of the Law. I feel it is necessary to quote Liber Librae -

"The sin which is unpardonable is knowingly and wilfully to reject truth, to fear knowledge lest that knowledge pander not to thy prejudices."

In general I would normally consider this an isolated incident, but I am seeing more and more of this in the Thelemic community (see my previous post). People who take to themselves the label of Thelemite but then do not comprehend or implement in their lives even the most simple Thelemic principles.

Perhaps we should call them "Weekend Thelemites" (like weekend hippies). They are involved in the Thelemic scene for a variety of reasons (want a good party, like some of the people, etc.) but have no intention of engaging with the principles of Thelema. Instead, their attitudes are precisely those of troglodytes. (So called because of Crowley's statement in Liber CI, Seventh House, "since they have not accepted the Law, and are therefore, as it were, troglodytes, survivals of a past civilisation, and to be treated accordingly. Kindness should be shown towards them, as towards any other animal, and every effort should be made to bring them into Freedom.") They preserve the values of the Old Aeon in their actions, and attempt to apply these (pseudo)values to their involvement in New Aeon organizations and forums.

Those of us with a committment to the Law - Even in its most general terms of "Do what thou wilt ", "Love is the law, love under will.", and "Every Man and every Woman is a star." - are beholden to firstly remove the influence of such people on the Thelemic community and then to attempt to show them the error and falsehood of their attitudes.

I'll probably write more on this later, lj is not a great place to do detailed philosophical and political analysis but I'll give it a go. For the moment I just want to bring these disturbing trends to the attention of others committed, as am I, to promulgating the Law and opposing manifestations of Tyranny and Superstition.

Love is the law, love under will.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008
12:03 am - On Malign Fools
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


"My Son, there are Afflictions many and Woes many, that come of the Errors of Men in respect of the Will; but there is none greater than this, the Interference of the Busy-Body. For they make Pretence to know a Man's Thought better than he doth himself, and to direct his Will with more Wisdom than he, and to make Plans for his Happiness." - Liber Aleph, Ch. 148

Or in other words to attempt to "protect someone from themselves" is to fundamentally reject the law of Thelema. In doing so you injure both them and yourself; them by denying them both choice and an opportunity to learn (and this is the minimal case if you happen to be correct in your judgement of them, if you are wrong then the damage may be incalculable) and yourself because such an action inevitably leads one away from the path of ones own True Will.

The only course in such circumstances is to be honest and to admit that you are attempting to assert raw power against another for your own benefit - self honesty compels this. Here you simply are kicking "hard and low" - hopefully if you 'lose' then you take it stoically.

Love is the law, love under will.

(comment on this)

Sunday, November 25th, 2007
2:24 pm - Lest you forget
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.


"The principle of popular election is a fatal folly; its results are visible in every so-called democracy. The elected man is always the mediocrity; he is the safe man, the sound man, the man who displeases the majority less than any other; and therefore never the genius, the man of progress and illumination." - Liber 194, An Intimation with Reference to the Constitution of the Order

In other words, the majority always choose the mediocrity.

Love is the law, love under will.

(1 comment | comment on this)

> previous 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com